North Newington was a township in the ancient parish of Broughton until 1866 when it was made a civil parish. It remains part of the Church of England parish of St Mary the Virgin, Broughton with North Newington. The parish church is in the grounds of Broughton Castle, 1 mile (1.6 km) south of North Newington.
North Newington's most notable historic building is Park Farm, whose main house includes buttresses and other features from the 14th or 15th century. Park Farm has also a circular dovecote that was built in the 17th century.