Milton was a civil parish which existed immediately south of Dorking from 1933 until 1974. Its predecessor was Dorking Rural Civil Parish which had covered the rural parts of the parish of Dorking since 1894. It had an area of 3795 acres, only a part of the former Dorking Rural Parish--the rest, that part further from Dorking, went to the new parish of Holmwood.
The origin of the parish name was the hamlet of Milton Street, described in John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 as
- "MILTON-STREET, a hamlet in Dorking parish, Surrey; 1¾ mile SW of Dorking. It takes the latter part of its name from Stane-street, a portion of which is still traceable in the neighbourhood."
(Source:A Vision of Britain through Time)
Milton was located in the Dorking and Horley Rural District from 1933 until 1974 when the nationwide reorganization of local administration placed it in the Mole Valley District.
Surrey Research Tips
Part of a list taken from GENUKI
Archives and Libraries
Surrey Cemeteries & Crematoriums
- Registration Districts in Surrey for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.