|Alt names||North Grimstone||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which the parish was situated|
|Birdsall, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1935|
|Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
North Grimston is a village in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated between Norton on Derwent and Wharram le Street on the B1248 road.
The Church at North Grimston is dedicated to St Nicholas. The font dates back to Saxon times.
North Grimston was served by North Grimston railway station on the Malton and Driffield Railway between 1853 and 1950.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
North Grimston was originally an ancient parish in Buckrose Wapentake in the East Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 North Grimston, which had no townships, became a civil parish. In 1894 it became part of the Norton Rural District of the East Riding. In 1935 North Grimston was absorbed into the neighbouring civil parish of Birdsall within Norton Rural District.
In 1974 rural districts were abolished and the border between the East Riding of Yorkshire and the North Riding of Yorkshire was realigned. The North Riding changed its name to North Yorkshire.
Since 1974 North Grimston has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Ryedale District.
- GENUKI on North Grimston.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on North Grimston.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of North Grimston provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- For a discussion of where to find Archive Offices in Yorkshire, see GENUKI.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: East Riding of Yorkshire, England | North Grimston, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England