Place:North Gosforth, Northumberland, England

NameNorth Gosforth
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoGosforth, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Castle Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, Englandmetropolitan district covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog

North Gosforth was a township in the ancient parish of Gosforth and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Castle Ward Rural District. In 1935 part of the civil parish was absorbed by Gosforth. In 1974 the remainder and the area was transferred to the City of Newcastle upon Tyne metropolitan borough in the county of Tyne and Wear. (Source:Wikipedia)

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.