The Town of North East is in the northeastern part of the county. US Route 44 crosses the town.
The town of Northeast takes its name from its position in the county. Part of the town was from the Great Nine Partners Patent of 1697 and part of the Little Nine Partners Patent of 1706. The town was first settled by people from Connecticut, who located here from 1725 to 1730, in a separate area called "The Oblong", which was not part of the Patent.
In 1807, and for some time thereafter, a traveling Methodist minister would preach once a fortnight. A slate company was formed in the town in 1812.
During the Revolutionary War, iron ore was taken former the former Maltby ore bed (then known as the Dakin ore bed) to cast cannon for the American forces. Newman Martin was a local farmer who served in the British Light Infantry; at the close of the Revolutionary War he emigrated to Nova Scotia.