Place:North Dissington, Northumberland, England

NameNorth Dissington
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoNewburn, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Castle Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Ponteland, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of North Dissington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"DISSINGTON (North and South), two townships in Newburn parish, Northumberland; on the river Pont, 10 miles NW by W of Newcastle-on-Tyne. Acres: 1,140 and 1,342. Populations: 76 and 63. Houses: 11 and 12. The Delavels were seated here; the Collingwoods have Dissington Hall; and Admirals Sir Ralph Delavel and Lord Collingwood were natives."

North Dissington was a township in the ancient parish of Newburn and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Castle Ward Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Ponteland.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.