- source: Family History Library Catalog
North Bute is the parish that takes up the northern half of the Island of Bute and also covers a the west coast south to Scalpsie Bay. The largest settlement is the village of Port Bannatyne also known as Kaimesburgh in the 19th century after Kames Castle not far from the village. The central area north of the line which joins Port Bannatyne to Ettrick Bay is very sparsely populated although there is some habitation northward on both the eastern and western shore. Hamlets and large farms include Ardmaleish, Kilmichael, Glecknabae, Drumnacloy, Kildavanan, St Colmac, Ardrosscadale and The Straad.
The old parish registers (OPRs) for North Bute parish only include the years 1844-1854 and cover Baptisms and Marriages only.