Place:Burlingham-St. Andrew, Norfolk, England

NameBurlingham-St. Andrew
Alt namesNorth Burlinghamsource: GENUKI
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.6359°N 1.5012°E
Located inNorfolk, England     ( - 1935)
See alsoBlofield Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Blofield Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Lingwood and Burlingham, Norfolk, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1935
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

Burlingham-St. Andrew and Burlingham-St. Peter are together also known as North Burlingham. In 1935 Burlingham-St. Andrew, together with the other two "church" parishes that covered the town of Burlingham, was abolished and the land absorbed into the new civil parish of Lingwood and Burlingham.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Burlingham-St. Andrew from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BURLINGHAM-ST. ANDREW, a parish in Blofield [registration] district, Norfolk; 2½ miles W by S of Acle, and 3 NE by E of Brundall [railway] station. It has a post office, of the name of Burlingham, under Norwich. Acres: 750. Real property: £2,048. Population: 186. Houses: 35. The property is divided among a few. Burlingham House is the seat of H. Burroughes, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Burlingham-St. Edmund, in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £550. Patron: H. Burroughes, Esq. The church has a painted rood-screen of the 16th century."

Research Tips

  • GENUKI provides a list of references for Burlingham-St. Andrew. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.