North Benfleet (#17 on the map) was part of Billericay Rural District from 1894 until 1934 when the rural district was abolished. The parish was then transferred to Billericay Urban District which was renamed Basildon Urban District in 1955. In 1974 Basildon Urban District was abolished and, in the nationwide municipal reorganization of the that year, the area became Basildon District. Basildon District was given the right to be called a "borough" in 2010.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of North Benfleet from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: