North Battleford is a small city in west central Saskatchewan, Canada. It is directly across the North Saskatchewan River from the town of Battleford. Together, the two communities are known as the Battlefords. North Battleford borders the Rural Municipality of North Battleford No. 437, as well as the North Battleford Crown Colony (census subdivision).
The Battlefords Provincial Park is 40 km north on Highway 4.
For thousands of years prior to European settlement, succeeding cultures of indigenous peoples lived in the area. The Battlefords area (including the present city of North Battleford and town of Battleford) was home to several historic aboriginal groups, including the Algonquian-speaking Cree and Blackfeet, and the Siouan Assiniboine tribes, who contested for control of local resources.
Early European settlement began as a result of fur trading by French colonists in the late 18th century. The Canadians founded Fort Montaigne d'Aigle (Eagle Hills Fort) nine miles below the confluence of the Saskatchewan and Battle Rivers in 1778. A year later the fort was abandoned following conflict between traders and natives.
Permanent European settlement in the area centred around the town of Battleford, founded 1875 and located on the south side of the North Saskatchewan River. Battleford served as capital of the North-West Territories between 1876 and 1883.
In 1905 the construction of the Canadian Northern Railway main line to Edmonton placed the line on the north side of the North Saskatchewan River. North Battleford was incorporated as village in 1906, a town in 1907 and a city (with population 5000) in 1913.
Population growth stagnated until the 1940s and then grew to approximately 10,000 by the 1960s. The city has grown into an administrative center and service hub for the economic, education, health and social needs of the region. North Battleford is the home of one of four branches of the Saskatchewan Western Development Museum. This branch focuses on the agricultural history of Saskatchewan, including a pioneer village. The city also has the Allen Sapp Gallery, featuring a noted Cree painter.
The Latter Rain Revival, a Christian movement, started here in 1946–48.
In 2001 a problem with the city's water system led to the infection of approximately 6280 people with cryptosporidiosis; a lawsuit for several million dollars in damages was filed in 2003.
A number of heritage buildings are located within the city.