NOTE: Normanby le Wold is 8.7 miles east-north-east of Normanby by Spital and was in Caistor Rural District. They are now both in the West Lindsey District. There is also a hamlet named Normanby (or Normanby by Stow) in the parish of Stow which was formerly in Gainsborough Rural District. This has been redircted to the parish of Stow.
Normanby by Spital, also simply known as Normanby, is a village and civil parish in the West Lindsey District of Lincolnshire, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 318. It is approximately 10 miles (16 km) north from Lincoln, and just off the A15 road. Normanby by Spital also has a neighbouring village called Owmby by Spital.
St. Peter's Church dates from the 12th century and is a Grade I listed building. It is redundant and maintained by the Churches Conservation Trust. The church is dedicated to St.Peter and St.Paul. It was extensively renovated in 1890 and it currently seats 100 people. There was also formerly a Methodist chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Normanby by Spital from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.