|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England (1844 - 1955)|
|Also located in||Durham, England ( - 1844)|
|See also||Norham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish of which it was a part|
|Norhamshire, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Norham and Islandshires Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Horncliffe, Northumberland, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
There is no article on Northam Mains in either Wikipedia or A Vision of Britain through Time. The Ordnance Survey Map of 1900 shows it as a parish to the northeast of Northam. The word "mains" is often used as a description of an estate or manor's "home farm", particularly in Scotland (and Norham Mains is on the border with Scotland). In this case it may be used as the rural extension of a somewhat more urban parish. Further south in England the words "rural" or "without" are often used with the name of a town parish to denote a similar situation.
Norham Mains was a township in the ancient parish of Simonburn and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Norham and Islandshires Rural District. In 1955 it was absorbed into the adjacent parish of Horncliffe.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Norham Mains, Northumberland, England | Norham, Northumberland, England | Norhamshire, Northumberland, England | Norham and Islandshires Rural, Northumberland, England | Horncliffe, Northumberland, England