- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Nidd is a small village and civil parish in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated 3 miles north of Harrogate and near the River Nidd.
Nidd Hall is a former country house which has been converted into an hotel.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Nidd from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NIDD, a parish, with a small village, in Knaresborough district, [West Riding of] Yorkshire; on the river Nidd, and on the Leeds, Harrogate, and Thirsk railway, at Nidd-Bridge [railway] station, 1¼ mile E S E of Ripley. Post-town, Ripley, under Leeds. Acres: 1,016. Real property: £2,669. Population: 141. Houses: 25. The property is divided among a few. Nidd Hall and most of the land belong to the Rawson family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £110. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church was rebuilt in 1868; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and is in the decorated English style. The churchyard contains a large stone burial-vault of the Rawson family."
Historically, Nidd was an ecclesiastical parish in the Lower division of the Claro Wapentake. From 1894 until 1938, Nidd was located in Knaresborough Rural District and from 1938 until 1974 in Nidderdale Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire.
The page, Knaresborough Rural District, has an outline map of all the civil parishes in the district.
- GENUKI on Nidd. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Nidd provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Nidd.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.
- Ordnance Survey Southern part of the West Riding 1944 shows the southern part of the West Riding (including the southern part of Wetherby Rural District).
Help fund new features!