The Town of Niagara is the neighbor to the City of Niagara Falls, which actually adjoins the famed Niagara Falls cataract. The town is located in the southwest corner of the county and is famed for its factory outlet mall (formerly Prime Outlet Niagara Falls), frequently visited by nearby Canadians based on the favorable currency exchange. Also located within the town is Niagara Falls International Airport, which serves the Niagara County area.
There is no separate post office (it is serviced by the LaSalle Post Office on Niagara Falls Boulevard (U.S. Route 62) in adjacent Niagara Falls, New York, so the mailing address is Niagara Falls, NY. Both Niagara, NY, and Town of Niagara, NY, are not acceptable, according to the United States Postal Service, when writing an address.
The Town of Niagara was founded in 1812 (originally as the "Town of Schlosser" after the local fortification Fort Schlosser and after Captain Joseph Schlosser, a German officer in the British Army) from the Town of Cambria. In 1836 western parts of the town became the Town of Wheatfield, New York.
In 1892, the City of Niagara Falls was formed from the eastern end of town, taking about half of its land. In 1903, the city annexed another quarter of the town, reducing its size to 9.4 square miles. Its borders have remained the same since.