Place:Newtown Crommelin, County Antrim, Northern Ireland

Watchers


NameNewtown Crommelin
Alt namesNewtown-Crommelin
Newtown Crommlin
TypeParish
Coordinates55.02172°N 6.21552°W
Located inCounty Antrim, Northern Ireland
source: Family History Library Catalog


Historical description

Extracts pertaining to local and historical information are taken from a Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis published in 1837.


NEWTOWN-CROMMELIN, a parish, in the barony of KILCONWAY, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (N.) from Broughshane, on the road to Ballycastle; containing 727 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 3445 1/2 statute acres of land, which is in general of an inferior description, nearly two-thirds consisting of mountain and bog. Here is a station of the constabulary police, and fairs are held on the second Tuesday in every month. The living is a perpetual cure, in the diocese of Connor, and in the gift of the Incumbent of Dunaghy. The tithes amount to £30; and the gross income of the curacy, augmented by £66 per annum from Primate Boulter's fund, and including the glebe of eight acres, valued at £8 per annum, is £104. The glebe-house was built in 1831, at an expense of £500, of which £450 was a gift and £50 a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. The church was erected about the same period, by aid of a gift of £800 from the Board. About 270 children are educated in the schools of the parish, of which one for boys is supported by an annual allowance of £26 from the Methodist Missionary Society, and one for girls is aided by a small annual payment from a London Society; there are also a private school and two Sunday schools.

Fundraiser
Help fund new features!