|Name||Newton on the Moor|
|Alt names||Newton on the Moors||source: spelling variation|
|Newton on the Moor and Swarland||source: name of parish since 1974|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Shilbottle, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Greens and Glantlees, Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Hazon and Hartlaw, Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Swarland, Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Whittle (near Alnwick), Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Newton on the Moor from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NEWTON-ON-THE-MOOR, a township, with a village, in Shilbottle parish, Northumberland; 5½ miles S of Alnwick. It has a post-office under Acklington, a New Connexion Methodist chapel, and a slightly endowed school. Acres: 911. Population: 291. Houses: 66. Newton Hall is a chief residence. Limestone a bounds, and is quarried. Coal also is worked; and bricks and tiles are made. There is a large ancient camp."
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Newton on the Moor is a village in Northumberland, England. It is located 5 miles (8 km) south of Alnwick, on the old route of the A1 road although the village has now been bypassed just to the east. The village is now in the civil parish of Newton on the Moor and Swarland, which also includes the village of Swarland, southwest of Newton on the Moor. The population of the parish was 822 in the 2001 UK census, increasing to 905 at the 2011 UK census.
A settlement existed at Newton on the Moor in the late 13th century.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Newton on the Moor was originally a township in the ancient parish of Shilbottle, Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866 and in 1955 it absorbed the following parishes when they were abolished: Greens and Glantlees, Hazon and Hartlaw, Swarland and Whittle (near Alnwick). The renaming to Newton on the Moor and Swarland probably took place after 1974. Swarland was a very large parish by acreage.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.