|Name||Newton by the Sea|
|Alt names||Low Newton by the Sea||source: settlement in parish|
|High Newton by the Sea||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient division in which it was located|
|Embleton, Northumberland, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Brunton, Northumberland, England||civil parish abolished in 1955 and absorbed into Newton by the Sea|
|Doxford, Northumberland, England||civil parish abolished in 1955 and absorbed into Newton by the Sea|
|Fallodon, Northumberland, England||civil parish abolished in 1955 and absorbed into Newton by the Sea|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Newton by the Sea is a civil parish in the county of Northumberland in northern England. The parish is about 8 miles northwest of Alnwick and lies on the coast between the larger settlements of Embleton and Seahouses.
There are two distinct settlements in the parish: High Newton by the Sea (which, despite its name, is about half a mile inland) and the coastal Low Newton by the Sea, owned by the National Trust. The area is notable for the diversity of birds to be observed. Just to the south is Embleton Bay.
In 1955 the area covered by Newton by the Sea was sizeably increased when the parishes of Brunton, Doxford, and Fallodon were all abolished and absorbed into Newton by the Sea.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.