|Name||Newton by Chester|
|Alt names||Plas Newton||source: locale in parish|
|Type||Township, Suburb, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Chester St. Oswald, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was part until 1866|
|Broxton Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Chester Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Newton by Chester is a suburb in the north-east of Chester, in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. Including the locale of Plas Newton, the area is contiguous with Upton by Chester to the north and Hoole to the south. Prior to 1866 it was a township of the ancient parish of Chester St. Oswald.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Broxton Hundred, Cheshire, England | Chester St. Oswald, Cheshire, England | Newton by Chester, Cheshire, England | Chester Rural, Cheshire, England | Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England