Place:Newstead, Northumberland, England

Alt namesBrickwoodhallsource: hamlet in parish
Clatterysource: hamlet in parish
Common Flatsource: hamlet in parish
Laneheadsource: hamlet in parish
Rayhughsource: hamlet in parish
Rosebroughsource: hamlet in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.543°N 1.778°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoBamburgh, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was part
Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
Belford Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Adderstone with Lucker, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Newstead from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"NEWSTEAD, a township in Bambrough parish, Northumberland; 5 miles S S E of Belford. It includes Brickwoodhall, Rayhugh, Rosebrough, Clattery, Common Flat, and Lanehead. Acres: 1,988. Population: 116. Houses: 22. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland."

Newstead was a township in the ancient parish of Bamburgh. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Belford Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Adderstone with Lucker.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.