Newport is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It was formed in 1935 from the former civil parish of Wallingfen and part of another neighbouring civil parish named Scalby. The village of Newport existed within Wallingfen civil parish and the two names tend to be used interchangeably. Newport was located in Howden Rural District. The Ordnance Survey maps referenced below illustrate the borders between the former civil parishes.
The village (entitled on old maps "Newport, New Village" and well-described in the GENUKI reference given below) is approximately 7 miles (11 km) east of the market town of Howden. Its industry was brick-making. It lies on the B1230 road to the south of the M62 motorway and on the banks of the Market Weighton Canal.
According to the 2011 UK census, Newport parish had a population of 1,580, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 1,538. It was served by Wallingfen railway station, formerly named Newport, on the Hull and Barnsley Railway between 1885 and 1955.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.