Place:Newport, Essex, England

Watchers
NameNewport
Alt namesNeuportsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 103
Newport-Pondsource: A Vision of Britain Through Time
TypeVillage
Coordinates51.984352°N 0.21384°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoSaffron Walden Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Uttlesford (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Newport is a large village in Essex near Saffron Walden. The village has a population of just over 2,000.

Located approximately 41 miles (66 kilometres) north of London, the village is situated amongst the arable fields of northern Essex. With a regular train service to London Liverpool Street from the Newport (Essex) railway station, the village is considered to be within commuting distance of the capital and as such attracts a number of workers from the City of London. Newport Free Grammar School, a comprehensive co-educational secondary school, is also located in the village.

Newport is the centre point of the long-distance path known as "The Harcamlow Way", a figure-of-eight walk between Cambridge and Harlow. Consequently it has a large number of walks radiating from its centre; short walks of surrounding interest include those heading towards Saffron Walden, the English Heritage property of Audley End House, or Prior Hall Barn in Widdington.

The parish was part of the Saffron Walden Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Uttlesford District of Essex.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Newport, Essex. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.