Place:Newminster Abbey, Northumberland, England

NameNewminster Abbey
Alt namesNewminstersource: name of parish from 1894
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.168°N 1.7°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1935)
See alsoMorpeth, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Castle Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Morpeth, Northumberland, Englandmunicipal borough to which some of its area was returned in 1894 and 1935
Benridge, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish to which some of its area was transferred in 1935
Tranwell and High Church, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish to which some of its area was transferred in 1935
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Newminster Abbey from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"NEWMINSTER ABBEY, a township in Morpeth parish, Northumberland; on the river Wansbeck, ½ a mile W of Morpeth. Acres: 717. Population: 140. Houses: 26. A splendid Cistertian monastery stood here. See Morpeth."

Newminster Abbey was a township in the ancient parish of Morpeth and became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1894 it was split with part being returned to Morpeth and the remainder made into a new civil parish named Newminster (redirected here). In 1935 Newminster was split again with the largest part going to Morpeth and smaller areas to the parishes of Benridge and Tranwell and High Church (known as Tranwell after 1894).

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.