|Alt names||Newminster||source: name of parish from 1894|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1935)|
|See also||Morpeth, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Morpeth, Northumberland, England||municipal borough to which some of its area was returned in 1894 and 1935|
|Benridge, Northumberland, England||civil parish to which some of its area was transferred in 1935|
|Tranwell and High Church, Northumberland, England||civil parish to which some of its area was transferred in 1935|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Newminster Abbey from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NEWMINSTER ABBEY, a township in Morpeth parish, Northumberland; on the river Wansbeck, ½ a mile W of Morpeth. Acres: 717. Population: 140. Houses: 26. A splendid Cistertian monastery stood here. See Morpeth."
Newminster Abbey was a township in the ancient parish of Morpeth and became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1894 it was split with part being returned to Morpeth and the remainder made into a new civil parish named Newminster (redirected here). In 1935 Newminster was split again with the largest part going to Morpeth and smaller areas to the parishes of Benridge and Tranwell and High Church (known as Tranwell after 1894).
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Newminster Abbey, Northumberland, England | Morpeth, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward, Northumberland, England | Benridge, Northumberland, England | Tranwell and High Church, Northumberland, England