Place:Newland with Woodhouse Moor, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameNewland with Woodhouse Moor
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates53.697°N 1.44°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inNorth Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
Yorkshire, England    
See alsoWakefield Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Wakefield (metropolitan borough), West Yorkshire, Englandmetropolitan borough of which it has been a part since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Newland with Woodhouse Moor is a civil parish in the City of Wakefield in West Yorkshire, England, consisting of some open countryside west of Normanton, including Newland Hall.

The records of the Newlands estate go back 900 years, and indicate that it was established in 1213 by King John I as a community of the Knights Templar, and subsequently fell to the Knights Hospitaller, who maintained a preceptory there. Newland was only one of two preceptories in West Yorkshire, the other being that of the Knights Templar at Temple Newsam, and the only one established by the Knights Hospitaller.

Early in its history, the preceptory was the beneficiary of the largesse of a powerful patron, Roger Le Peytevin, lord of the manor of nearby Altofts. Later, the longtime lords of the manor were the Levett family, who also had ties to nearby Normanton as well as to the chivalric order. On 2 October 1447, William Lyvett (Levett) was admitted tenant to the Knights Hospitaller at Newland and preceptor of the Hospitallers' community there.

At the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries, King Henry VIII dissolved the Newland preceptory and confiscated the property. It was subsequently sold to a member of the Bunny family of Newton. Later, the Silvester family purchased the estate, and in 1740 built Newland Hall as its principal residence. The 54-room Hall was demolished in 1917. The farm buildings belonging to the former Newland Hall are Grade II listed buildings, as is the old stable block associated with the property, and which once carried the cross of the Knights Hospitaller.

The 2001 census recorded a population of zero for the parish, which was once an extra-parochial area.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Newland with Woodhouse Moor. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.