Newington is a town in Hartford County, Connecticut, United States. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 30,562. The Connecticut Department of Transportation has its headquarters in Newington.
Newington is home to Mill Pond Falls, near the center of town. It is celebrated each fall during the Waterfall Festival.
Newington became a parish in the town of Wethersfield in 1712, and a town in 1871. The first settlers in Newington arrived between 1682 and 1684.
Newington was part of the Town of Wethersfield until 1871. Early names for the area were “Pipestave Swamp,” then “Cow Plain,” and later, “West Farms.” These reflected its use first as a source of staves for making “pipes” (large sized barrels) used in colonial trade, then a pasture for cattle, and eventually, the new farms taken up by descendants of early Wethersfield settlers who had been given grants on the western frontier of their riverside town. By 1721 there were enough new farmers on these grants to request that the General Assembly of the Colony of Connecticut give them the name “Newington.” This name means new town in the meadow.
Because most inhabitants were related to Wethersfield families, Newington accepted government by Wethersfield Town Meeting until 1871. But the railroad had come through Newington in the 1830’s and the frequent, inexpensive transportation attracted growth. Some years later, Wethersfield Town Meeting refused to approve expenses for highway improvements for better access to the railroad. Newington was ready to take government into its own hands. It applied to the General Assembly of the State of Connecticut for incorporation, which was approved in 1871.