|Name||Newham (near Morpeth)|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Whalton, Northumberland, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient division in which it was located|
|Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Belsay, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was transferred in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Newham (near Morpeth) from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NEWHAM, a township in Whalton parish, Northumberland; 7 miles S W of Morpeth. Acres: 1,321. Population: 48. Houses: 9."
Newham (near Morpeth) was a township in the ancient parish of Whalton and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Castle Ward Rural District. The civil parish was abolished and the area absorbed into Belsay in 1955.
Newham was difficult to find but the parish is marked on the 1900 OS map of Northumberland where it is located directly east of Black Heddon. Co-ordinates were estimated using Google Earth.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Newham (near Morpeth), Northumberland, England | Whalton, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England | Belsay, Northumberland, England