Newdegate is a townsite in the great southern agricultural region, 399 km south-east of Perth and 52 km east of Lake Grace in Western Australia. The townsite was gazetted in 1925 and honours Sir Francis Newdegate, the Governor of Western Australia from 1920 to 1924. The Department of Agriculture and Food operates one of its 13 research stations in the area of Newdegate.
Newdegate is situated in the heart of the south-eastern wheatbelt of Western Australia - about half way between Perth in the west and Esperance in the south-east. It is a very successful grain and sheep farming area. Newdegate is central to the Western Mallee subregion of the Interim Biogeographic Regionalisation for Australia (IBRA). It is a sparsely populated subregion with an area of about .
The local Hall was opened in 1926 by Mr. B Carruthers from Lake Grace. A gold reef was found to the north east of town the same year.