- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Newby with Mulwith from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NEWBY-WITH-MULWITH, a township in Ripon parish, [West Riding of] Yorkshire; on the river Ure, 3 miles [southeast by south] of Ripon. Acres: 700. Real property: £1,512. Population: 60. Houses: 13. Newby Hall here belonged formerly to the Weddels and the Robinsons; was built in 1705, by Sir Edward Blacket, after designs by Sir Christopher Wren; belongs now to the Earl of Ripon; and contains a drawing-room 40 feet by 26 hung with Gobeline tapestry, a fine gallery of marbles, busts, and articles of vertu, and a collection of portraits and pictures by Reynolds and other masters."
Wikipedia also has an article on Newby Hall. GENUKI describes Mulwith as a farmhouse.
Historically, Newby with Mulwith was in the ecclesiastical parish of Ripon in the Lower division of the Claro Wapentake. From 1894 until 1937, Newby with Mulwith was located in Ripon Rural District and from 1937 until 1974 in Ripon and Pateley Bridge Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire.
- GENUKI on Newby with Mulwith. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Ripon provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Newby with Mulwith.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.