|Type||Township, Parish (ancient), Civil parish, Urban district|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Tyne and Wear, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was part located|
|Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was part located|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was part located|
|City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England||metropolitan borough covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Newburn is a semi-rural village, parish, and a former urban district in the county of Northumberland, England. Since 1974, however, it is located in the western part of the county of Tyne and Wear. Situated on the banks of the River Tyne, it is built up the valley which rises from the river. It is situated approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) from the centre of Newcastle upon Tyne, 14 miles (23 km) east of Hexham and 13 miles (21 km) south southwest of Morpeth. In the 2001 UK census, the population was given as 9,301, and increased to 9,536 by the 2011 UK census. The town is in the City of Newcastle upon Tyne metropolitan district.
In the distant past, the town was larger than Newcastle upon Tyne as it was the most eastern fordable point of the River Tyne. It was located on the point where the three ancient wards of Tynedale, Morpeth and Castle came together.
The area has Roman remains, and a Norman church dating from 1070 AD. In 1640, the Battle of Newburn took place. The village grew with the Industrial Revolution with the discovery of coal, and in 1822 Spencer's Steelworks was opened. The steelworks grew to a size which led the village to be known colloquially as "New Sheffield", after the town famed for its steel-making prowess. The town's steelworks fell into decline after the First World War.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides a description of Newburn from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 which makes an interesting comparison with the modern town found in Wikipedia.
The parishes labelled A, B and C on the map are Darras Hall, Little Callerton and South Dissington.
Townships in the ancient parish
As an ancient parish Newburn had the following townships and chapelries:
Newburn as an urban district and after 1974
In 1894, Newburn Urban District Council was formed. This governed Newburn, along with other suburbs to the west of Newcastle. In 1911, the district council offices were officially opened.
Until 1935, as an urban district, Newburn contained the following parishes:
In 1935 these six parishes were absorbed into the parish of Newburn itself. Newburn became part of the Newcastle upon Tyne in Northumberland in 1935 and of the City of Newcastle upon Tyne in Tyne and Wear in 1974.
On 1 April 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972, Newburn became part of the metropolitan borough of City of Newcastle upon Tyne in the county of Tyne and Wear.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Newburn, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward, Northumberland, England | Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Tyne and Wear, England | City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England