Newbottle is a village in North East England, lying directly between Durham (eight miles south westerly) and Sunderland (the city centre is north easterly), one and a half miles north of Houghton-le-Spring. The village occupies an elevated position and is accessed from three sides up a steep bank.
Neighbouring villages / areas include Grasswell (between Newbottle and Houghton le Spring), Shiney Row (between Newbottle and Washington, Tyne and Wear), Herrington Burn (between Newbottle and Shiney Row) and Success/Philadelphia (between Newbottle and Herrington Burn).
The name Newbottle derives from the Saxon 'New Battle' meaning 'new settlement'. Newbottle village can trace its roots back to the year 1050 making it truly medieval. The earliest mention of the town's name is in the Boldon Book in 1183 as 'Newbotill' and by reference to neighbouring Houghton-le-spring ('Hoctona'). An English transcription states:
"In Hoctona are thirteen cottagers, whose tenures, works and payments are like those of Newbotill; and three other half cottagers, who also work like the three half cottagers of Newbotill. Henry the greeve, holds two oxgangs of 24 acres for his service. The smith - 12 acres for his service. The carpenter holds a toft and 4 acres (16,000 m2) for his service. The punder (one who impounds straying animals) has 20 acres and the thraves of Hoctona, Wardon and Morton; he renders 60 hens and 300 eggs. The mills of Newbotill and Bidic, with half of Raynton Mill, pay XV marks. The demesne, consisting of four carucates, and the sheep pastures are in the hands of the lord."
In the 19th century there were three potteries, which were regarded well throughout the county, one belonging to the Broderick family. A corn mill was also in the village. Another name is the Russell family, who were believed to be solicitors of Sunderland and there is still a house named Russell today. In 1691 parts of Newbottle called Hall Moor and Dubmire were divided and the tenants all claimed leasehold. There were 16 pits recorded by Lord Lumley as the "Newbottle Group" on 19 August 1762. The Collieries belonging to the Neasham family were sold to the Earl of Durham for £70,000 in 1819. The last of these ceased mining in 1956.
The local church, St Matthews, dates from 1850. The village centre is a designated conservation area and the stone built housing and other buildings make Newbottle a surprisingly picturesque place for walkers and other visitors. Herrington Country Park provides a haven for walking, picnics, model boating and cycling and is a mile on foot to the north of the village accessible by public footpath.
The village is situated in the Copt Hill ward on a predominantly Labour run council, however since the local elections of May 2007 the ward itself is served by an Independent councillor. Along with many other communities the local economy has changed over the past generation. The Co-operative store and Post Office have closed and the land and property developed. The village is served by Newbottle Workingmen's Club CIU, pubs The Jolly Potters, The Sun Inn and the Italian restaurant Benito's at the Queens Head. A newsagent/general dealer serves the local community as well as an off-licence/store.
Newbottle has been featured in the media since 2005 North East News, BBC Look North, Durham FM, BBC Radio Newcastle, Sunderland Echo, The Journal, Evening Chronicle and The Guardian as 7,000 trees, which are part of the Great North Forest are being threatened to be chopped down to make way for 20 new football pitches, car parking and infrastructure. As a result of this threat many protestors have been campaigning "Save Our Trees!". On June 29, 2006 a 'chain saw' gang acting on the instructions of developers moved into the wood and began felling trees. This action forced the local community to apply to the high court in London for an emergency injunction. Mr Justice Bennett granted the high court injunction. In 2009 the plans were allowed to go ahead and have been on-going since January of 2010, with expected completion around September. After constant delays the action was started and in April 2011 a brand new Football Association sponsored and endorsed football training facility was opened. There at the opening was ex England Sir Trevor Brooking and local football for Sunderland A.F.C Jordan Henderson. The article was featured on the front page of the newspaper Sunderland Echo
Newbottle has one school, Newbottle Primary School which has more than 450 students from around the catchment area. The village is served by good major road links with the A690 (to Durham/Sunderland) and A19 (to Teesside/North Tyneside) junctions one and a half miles to the east and the A1M (to Newcastle/the South) two and a half miles to the west nr. Chester-le-street.
Although not common knowledge, Newbottle has a helicopter pad that located at the bottom of Stadon Way near the entrance to Okerhampton Drive.