New Hyde Park is an area that includes the Village of New Hyde Park in Nassau County, Long Island, New York, United States, as well as surrounding unincorporated areas located in Nassau and Queens counties. The place name, New Hyde Park, and its postal codes, 11040-11099, are used to serve all of these areas.
The population of the Village of New Hyde Park was 9,712 at the 2010 census. Because of its close proximity and relatively short commute to Manhattan, it is primarily a commuter town with over 75% of the land used for single family residences, but also has warehouses near the Long Island Rail Road station and retail districts along Jericho Turnpike.
Thomas Dongan, the fourth royal governor of New York, was granted an 800 acre parcel of land in 1683 that included New Hyde Park. It was known as "Dongan's Farm." Dongan built a mansion on what is now Lakeville Road. In 1691 Dongan fled to New England and then Ireland, as King James II and his Catholic forces failed to regain power in England and Ireland.
In 1715, Dongan's estate was sold to George Clarke (who was Secretary of the Provence of New York). He named it Hyde Park in honor of his wife, Ann Hyde. Clarke sold the property in 1783 and in the early 19th century is was parceled up and sold as farm land. Raising cattle was a chief agricultural enterprise from Dongan's time until the mid-19th century, when cattle farming in the expanding American West forced the farmers into other pursuits.
The village was incorporated in 1927.