Place:Hartley, Northumberland, England

Alt namesNew Hartleysource: new settlement in parish
Old Hartleysource: older settlement in parish
Seaton Sluicesource: harbour settlement in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.073°N 1.477°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoEarsdon (near North Shields), Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Castle Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Tynemouth Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1912
Seaton Delaval, Northumberland, Englandparish into which it was partly absorbed in 1912
Monkseaton, Northumberland, Englandparish into which it was partly absorbed in 1912
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hartley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HARTLEY, a village and a township in Earsdon parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the coast, at the month of Seaton burn, adjacent to the Blyth and Tyne railway, 4¼ miles SSE of Blyth; and has a station on the railway. The township includes also Seaton Sluice village and Rocky Island. Acres, with Seaton Delaval: 4,219. Population of [Hartley] alone: 1,567. Houses: 331. Hartley colliery was the scene of a terrific accident in Jan. 1862; when, by the breakage and fall of the beam of the pumping engine over its only shaft, 5 men were instantaneously killed, and 215 men and boys were buried alive. A tidal harbour, with capacity for about 14 vessels, used for the export of coal, is at Seaton Sluice. Here also are extensive bottle works. Remains of an ancient hermitage are on Bates Island. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, New Connexion Methodists, and [United] Free Methodists."

See also Wikipedia for a modern description of Hartley. Note that Seaton Sluice has become the principal settlement of the modern civil parish.

Hartley was a township in the ancient parish of Earsdon (near North Shields) and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1912 it was part of Tynemouth Rural District. In 1912 the civil parish was abolished and the area was split between the parishes of Seaton Delaval to the north and Monkseaton to the south.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.