New Berlin is a town in Chenango County, in central New York, United States. The population was 2,682 at the 2010 census. The town contains the village of New Berlin. The town is at the east border of the county and is northeast of Norwich.
The first European-American settlers arrived around 1790, after the American Revolutionary War, following which the Iroquois Confederacy nations ceded most of their territory to the United States. The town of New Berlin was founded by a partition of the town of Norwich in 1807; it was named after Berlin, Connecticut, from which many settlers had come. In 1821 the town changed its name to "Lancaster", but returned to "New Berlin" the next year. In 1853, part of the town was lost in the formation of the town of Sherburne.