A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Netteswell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Netteswell was part of the Epping Rural District from 1894 until 1955. In 1955 it was absorbed into Harlow New Town along with a number of other neighbouring parishes. Since 1974 the conurbation has been called the Harlow District of Essex. The neighbouring parish of Little Parndon was absorbed into Netteswell in 1946.