Place:Netteswell, Essex, England

Watchers
NameNetteswell
Alt namesNettleswellsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.774°N 0.108°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoEpping Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Harlow, Essex, Englandurban district of which it was part 1955-1974
Harlow (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Netteswell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"NETTESWELL, or Nettleswell, a parish, with a village, in Epping district, Essex; 1 mile S of Burnt-Mill [railway] station, 2 S of the river Stort at the boundary with Herts, and 2 S S W of Harlow. Post-town: Harlow. Acres: 1,521. Real property: £2,490. Population: 335. Houses: 75. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given by Harold II. to Waltham abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £205. Patron: Phelips, Esq. The church consists of nave and chancel, with tower and spire; and is good. There is a free school, with £35 a year from endowment."

Netteswell was part of the Epping Rural District from 1894 until 1955. In 1955 it was absorbed into Harlow New Town along with a number of other neighbouring parishes. Since 1974 the conurbation has been called the Harlow District of Essex. The neighbouring parish of Little Parndon was absorbed into Netteswell in 1946.

Research Tips

Fundraiser
Help fund new features!