|Alt names||Nether Witton||source: alternate spelling|
|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Hartburn, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Longwitton, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Netherwitton in 1955|
|Stanton, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Netherwitton in 1955|
|Whitridge, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Netherwitton in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Netherwitton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WITTON (Nether), a township in Morpeth [registration] district, and a parish partly also in Rothbury [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Font, 4 miles N of Angerton [railway] station, and 8 WNW of Morpeth; contains a picturesque village of its own name; is sometimes called Witton-by-the-Waters; contained the residence of Roger Thornton, the distinguished merchant-prince of Newcastle, who died in 1429; and has a post-office under Morpeth. Acres: 3,914. Population: 301. Houses: 53. [Nether Witton] Hall is the seat of R. Trevelyan, Esq.; and has, at the back, a curious tall tower, which was visited by Oliver Cromwell and the parliamentarian army.
- "The parish includes, in its Rothbury [registration district] section, six townships; and comprises altogether 7,723 acres. Real property, £4,546; of which £101 are in mines. Population: 486. Houses: 86. There is a small woollen factory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £150. Patron: the Vicar of Hartburn. There is a village school."
Netherwitton was originally a township in the ancient parish of Hartburn, Northumberland. It was a chapelry for the townships of Coatyards, Ewesley, Healey and Combhill, Nunnykirk, Ritton Coltpark and Ritton Whitehouse.
It became a separate civil parish in 1866 and remains a civil parish. In 1955 it absorbed the neighbouring parishes of Longwitton, Stanton and Whitridge.
There is an article in Wikipedia. Along with a similar description to that given above, it states the population in 2001 UK census was 272.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.