- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides this quotation from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NESS (East), a township in Hovingham parish, [North Riding of] Yorkshire; on the river Rye, near the Roman road from Cleveland to Malton, 2 miles N E of Hovingham [railway] station. Acres: 670. Population: 49. Houses: 9. The manor, with Ness Hall, belongs to the Kendallfamily. Limestone is worked; and Roman relics have been found."
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Ness was part of Kirkbymoorside Rural District. Historically, Ness and High Ness were located in the ecclesiastical parish of Pickhill in the Halikeld Wapentake, while East Ness and West Ness were in Stonegrave parish in Rydale Wapentake. These details are from "GENUKI", based on data from the 1820s and differ from the Wilson data of 1870 given above.
Categories: North Riding of Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England | Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England | Kirkbymoorside Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Halikeld Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Rydale Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England