The Nayland with Wissington parish comprises Nayland village and the adjoining rural village of Wissington (these days usually referred to as 'Wiston' by local residents). They were originally two separate parishes and were united into one civil parish in 1884. The ecclesiastical parishes remain separate.
Nayland and Wiston lie on the northern bank of the River Stour which divides Essex and Suffolk in England. The parish was abolished in 1952 and the new civil parish of Leavenheath was created in its stead.