Not to be confused with Nassau County, New York or the village of Nassau.
The Town of Nassau is at the southern border of the county.
The region was first settled around 1760. The town was originally formed as the "Town of Philipstown" in 1806 from parts of the Towns of Petersburgh, Schodack, and Stephentown. The town changed its name to "Nassau" in 1808.