Nambour is a town in South East Queensland, Australia, north of the state capital, Brisbane. The town lies in the sub-tropical hinterland of the Sunshine Coast at the foot of the Blackall Range and has a population of 10,221. It was the administrative centre and capital of the Maroochy Shire and is now the administrative centre of the Sunshine Coast Region. The greater Nambour region includes surrounding suburbs such as Burnside, Coes Creek, and Perwillowen, and has an estimated population of 15,550.
The area now known as Nambour, was first settled in 1870. The town was then called Petrie's Creek. In 1890 the Maroochy Divisional Board was established. In 1891, the rail link with Brisbane was completed, and at its opening Petrie's Creek was renamed "Nambour", after the Nambour cattle station. A fire in 1924 destroyed many of the timber buildings along the main street.
Petrie's Creek Post Office opened on 1 June 1888 (a receiving office had been open from 1885, originally known as Carrollo) and was renamed Nambour by 1890.
Along the middle of the roadway of Mill, Currie and Howard Streets, a piece of Queensland Rail history is still on display - the Nambour to Coolum Tramline. The Tramline was used to transport passengers and sugar cane in the early 1920s. The Tramline forms part of the Moreton Central Sugar Mill Cane Tramway, most of which has now been removed; although the track and signal lighting still remain. The town was bypassed by the Bruce Highway on 16 October 1990. This alleviated most of the local traffic congestion.
The Nambour & District Historical Museum, more widely known as the Nambour Museum, is located in the centre of town at 18 Mitchell Street. The museum is open to the public every Wednesday and Saturday between 1pm and 4pm. At other times, access may be arranged for group visitors such as retirement villages, schools and tour operators.