|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Ovingham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Horsley (near Wylam), Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Nafferton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NAFFERTON, a township in Ovingham parish, Northumberland; near the Roman wall, 7½ miles E by N of Hexham. Acres: 773. Population: 53. Houses: 10. Nafferton Castle was built out of materials of the Roman wall, by Sir Philip D' Ulecote, in the time of King John; and consists of a keep, 20 feet square, and 2 outer baileys. There is a colliery. The township is a meet for the Tindale hounds."
Nafferton was a township in the ancient parish of Ovingham and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Horsley (near Wylam).
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Nafferton, Northumberland, England | Ovingham, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England | Horsley (near Wylam), Northumberland, England