Place:Myles Standish Burying Ground, Duxbury, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States

Watchers


NameMyles Standish Burying Ground
TypeCemetery
Coordinates42.02507°N 70.68751°W
Located inDuxbury, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States

Resources

Wikipedia

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The Myles Standish Burial Ground (also known as Old Burying Ground or Standish Cemetery) in Duxbury, Massachusetts is, according to the American Cemetery Association, the oldest maintained cemetery in the United States.

The burying ground is the final resting place of several well-known Pilgrims who arrived on the Mayflower in 1620, including Captain Myles Standish. The site was the location of Duxbury's first meeting house. It was in use from approximately 1638 until 1789 at which point the cemetery was abandoned. It was reclaimed in 1887 by the Duxbury Rural Society, generating a widespread interest in locating the resting place of Duxbury's most famous colonist, Myles Standish. After two exhumations in 1889 and 1891, it was generally agreed that Standish's remains had been located and a memorial was built over his grave site. The Standish grave site memorial is today the most prominent feature in the burying ground.

The burying ground is now owned and maintained by the Town of Duxbury.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Myles Standish Burial Ground. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.