Murton is a small village situated since 1974 in Tyne and Wear in the northeast of England. It was formerly in the county of Northumberland.It is part of the urban conurbation of North Tyneside. The village is separated by fields from the nearby areas of West Monkseaton, New York, Earsdon and Shiremoor.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Murton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Murton was a township in the ancient parish of Tynemouth and became a separate civil parish in 1866. It was part of Tynemouth County Borough from 1881 until 1897 and part of Earsdon Urban District from 1913 until 1935 when Earsdon was absorbed into Tynemouth.