- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Muggleswick is a village and civil parish in County Durham, England. It is situated a few miles to the west of Consett. In the UK census of 2001 the population of the village was 130. Agriculture is primarily sheep farming with some cattle and hay.
There are the ruins of a priory, once a hunting lodge for the Prior of Durham, which is a listed building.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Muggleswick was an ancient parish in the Chester Ward of County Durham. It was made a civil parish in the 19th century and became part of the Lanchester Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Derwentside District non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Muggleswick from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MUGGLESWICK, a parish in the district and county of Durham; on the river Derwent, at the boundary with Northumberland, 3 miles W N W of Cold-Rowley [railway] station, and 8½ N by W of Wolsingham. Post-town: Consett, under Gateshead. Acres: 7,098. Real property: £1,647. Population in 1851: 688; in 1861: 788. Houses: 157. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Durham. An ancient hunting-seat of the priors of Durham stood here, in the valley of the Derwent; and a picturesque fragment of it still exists. A park, 3 miles long, and 2 miles wide, was enclosed, in the 13th century, by Prior Hugh. An extensive upland tract, in the S and the S W, bears the name of Muggleswick Common. Lead ore, containing some silver, is plentiful. All the lead mines within 12 miles of Muggleswick church were granted for 21 years, by Charles I., to the Duke of Buckingham. The south-eastern border of the parish is traversed by the Stanhope railway, and shares in the mining industry of the Consett region. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value: £300. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was rebuilt in 1728, and is substantial. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and a parochial school."