Place:Mudau, Baden, Germany

Watchers
NameMudau
TypeTown
Coordinates49.533°N 9.2°E
Located inBaden, Germany
Also located inNeckar-Odenwald-Kreis, Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, Germany    
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Mudau is a municipality in the Neckar-Odenwald district, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. it has 5,099 inhabitants.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
  • 2nd/3rd century: During the period of Roman control (approximately 98–260 AD) the area that is now Mudau lay within the province of Germania Superior. Remnants of the Neckar-Odenwald-Limes are visible today near Schlossau and Scheidental.
  • 11th/12th century: In the high Middle Ages the Benedictine monastery of Amorbach Abbey started new settlements in the forest area south of Amorbach. The municipalities have their origin here.
  • 12th/13th century: Mudau's lands were placed under the supervision of the noblemen of Duern and were assigned to the nearby Castle Wildenberg (also known as Castle Wildenburg) in Odenwald.
  • 1271: By purchase in the year 1271 the rule rights came to the Archbishop of Mainz. Mudau was the principal seat of the 'Mudauer Zent'.
  • 1426: Mudau was separated from the old parish of Hollerbach and became the church centre, with 13 chapelries.
  • 1525: During the German Peasants' War the nearby Amorbach Abbey was plundered and Castle Wildenberg destroyed. Götz von Berlichingen was the captain of the soldiers called 'Heller Haufen'.
  • 17th century: During the 17th century Mudau became an important market town with several annual and cattle markets.
  • 1618 - 1648: During the Thirty Years' War troops of allies and enemies both marched through the town and took quarter here.
  • 1803: During the Secularization Mudau became part of the Principality of Leiningen.
  • 1806: Mudau becomes part of the Grand Duchy of Baden.
  • 1848: During the German Revolutions of 1848 (also known as the March Revolution), the principality's property at Marienhoehe bei Buchen and the revenue office in Ernsttal were burned. The city halls were stormed.
  • 1849: Two-thirds of the town was destroyed by a major fire.
  • 1967: Sender Donebach begins transmitting.
  • 1974: Closure of the narrow-gauge railway from Mosbach to Mudau
  • 1982: The transmission towers of the longwave transmitting station were extended to 363 m, thus becoming the tallest built structures in Western Europe.

The wavy band in the coat of arms represents the Mudbach, while the wheels refer to the arms of Mainz.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Mudau. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.