Place:Mucking, Essex, England

Alt namesMuchingasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 103
Mucingasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 103
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.5°N 0.433°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoOrsett Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1936
Thurrock, Essex, Englandurban district in which it was located 1936-1974
Thurrock (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality/unitary authority in which it has been situated since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Mucking. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

Mucking is a hamlet and former Church of England parish adjoining the Thames estuary in southern Essex, England. It is located approximately 2 miles south of the town of Stanford-le-Hope in what is now Thurrock unitary authority.

Mucking's geographical location on flat marshland at the very mouth of the River Thames indicates that settlement in the area by Germanic invaders from the Continent probably occurred at a relatively early date; indeed, an outline of a now abandoned nearby Saxon village, West Mucking, was discovered from aerial photographs in the 20th century. Mucking was host to a small iron smelting industry because of its workable deposits of iron ore. Spongy iron blooms were produced and had their impurities worked out by a process known as 'Mucking'. It is not known if this process is connected to the village name or a coincidence.

Although the population of the hamlet is now less than one hundred, it thrived in Victorian times, boasting small shops, a large rectory and the mediaeval church of St John the Baptist (both of the latter buildings have now been converted to private houses).

The parish was part of the Orsett Rural District from 1894 until 1936 and the Thurrock Urban District from 1936 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Thurrock District in Essex (a unitary authority since 1998).

Research Tips