Mount Vernon is a census-designated place (CDP) in Somerset County, Maryland, United States. The population was 761 at the 2000 census. It is included in the Salisbury, Maryland-Delaware Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The community of Mt. Vernon, is not and never has been incorporated. It is a community approximately 10 miles from Princess Anne, the county seat of Somerset and postal addresses indicate Princess Anne. The name for the community was changed to Mt. Vernon in 1879 from its previous name of Hungary Neck, which was derived from the influx of population from around the Hungar River of Dorchester County between 1810 and 1820. A neck is a peninsula of land with bodies of water on both sides. Mt. Vernon's water bodies are the Wicomico River on the north and the Great Monie River on the south. At the time of settlement in the 17th century, 16 patents were laid out in the Mt. Vernon area by settlers, the descendants of whom still reside in the area. There are four churches in Mt. Vernon, all established in the 19th century, comprising three Methodist and one Episcopal. The only ferry still running in Somerset County connects Mt. Vernon to the town of Whitehaven in Wicomico County.
To see the 1877 atlas for this community: http://mikehitch.com/hungdist.gif. At that time the population was about 200. The 19th century schoolhouse is extant with current use as the Mt. Vernon Volunteer Fire Department. Until the 1960's Mt. Vernon had two elementary schools but since then the children ride by bus to Princess Anne. Most of the homes are of late 19th century vintage with the exception of "Waterloo" which is depicted on the 1877 as the Alms House and "Harrington". A brick structure built in the mid-18th century, it has now has been restored and recently was used as a bed and breakfast.