|Alt names||Modrestan||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 126|
|Mottiston||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Isle of Wight, England (1890 - )|
|Also located in||Hampshire, England ( - 1890)|
|See also||West Medina Liberty, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Isle of Wight Rural, Isle of Wight, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1933|
|Brightstone, Isle of Wight, England||parish to which it was transferred in 1933|
|Medina District, Isle of Wight, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-1995|
|Isle of Wight (council), Isle of Wight, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 1995|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Mottistone is a village on the the Isle of Wight, England, located in the popular tourist area, the Back of the Wight. It is located 8 miles southwest of Newport in the southwest of the island, and is home to the National Trust's Mottistone Manor.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Mottistone was a civil parish until 1933 when it was abolished and the area transferred to the neighbouring civil parish of Brightstone.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Mottistone from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MOTTISTON, a village and a parish in the Isle of Wight. The village stands on the S skirt of Mottiston Down, 1 mile from the coast, 1½ WNW of Brixton, and 5 SE of Yarmouth; was known, at Domesday, as Messetone; and now consists of a picturesque and scattered group of cottages. The parish contains also the hamlet of Fernfield and part of Chilton. Post town: Brixton, under Newport, lsle of Wight. Acres: 1,107. Real property: £1,571. Population: 160. Houses: 27. The property, with small exception, is all in one estate; belonged formerly to the Lisles, the Chekes, and the Leighs; and belongs now to Seely, Esq. The manor-house is a grey old building; was erected in 1557, by the Chekes; and is associated with the memory of Sir John Cheke, the tutor of Edward VI. Mottiston Down rises to an altitude of 698 feet; and has, on its S side, two Druidical stones,- the one 13 feet high, 6½ feet broad, 20 feet in girth, and little less than 30 tons in weight; - the other recumbent, 9¼ feet long and 4 feet broad. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Shorwell, in the diocese of Winchester. Value: £392. Patron: Brasenose College, Oxford. The church is a quaint and beautiful little building, of nave, aisles, and double gabled chancel; was restored in 1864; and contains a large late altar-tomb, with an illegible inscription."
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Isle of Wight, England | Mottistone, Isle of Wight, England | West Medina Liberty, Hampshire, England | Isle of Wight Rural, Isle of Wight, England | Brightstone, Isle of Wight, England | Medina District, Isle of Wight, England | Isle of Wight (council), Isle of Wight, England