- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Moseley has been since 1911 a suburb of Birmingham, England, 3 miles (4.8 km) south of the city centre. It is located within the Moseley and Kings Heath Ward of the city, in the [UK] parliamentary constituency of Hall Green.
A ninteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Moseley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MOSELEY, a village and a chapelry in Kings-Norton parish, Worcester. The village stands on the N verge of the county, adjacent to the Birmingham and Bristol railway, 3 miles S of the centre of Birmingham; is a pleasant and picturesque place; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Birmingham. The chapelry includes the village, and was constituted in 1853. Population in 1861, inclusive of King's Heath, now a separate charge: 2,591. Houses: 482.
- "Moseley Hall is the property of W. F. Taylor, Esq.; succeeded a previous mansion, destroyed by the rioters in 1791; and has good grounds. Moor Green House, Wake Green House, the Warren, Highfield House, the Henburys, Elmhurst, the Firs, and others also are good residences. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £150. Patron: the Vicar of Bromsgrove. The church has a tower of the time of Henry VII., and was enlarged about 1827.
- "The Independent theological college, formerly at Spring-Hill, Birmingham, was removed in 1856 to Wake Green in Yardly parish; is commonly designated as in Moseley; stands on a plot of 20 acres; was built after designs by Joseph James of London, at a cost of about £18,000; comprises class rooms, a chapel, a spacious library, residences for professors, and rooms for 36 students; and had, in 1865, an income of £2,626. There is a national school."
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Moseley.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Worcestershire illustrates the parish boundaries of Worcestershire when rural districts were still in existence and before the West Midlands came into being. The map publication year is 1931. The map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- British History Online has a collection of local maps from the Ordnance Survey 1883-1893. Rural areas are included, but these may be especially useful for investigation the suburbs of large towns.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Worcestershire as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- The Midlands Historical Data project produces searchable facsimile copies of old local history books and directories of interest to genealogists. It specialises in the three counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, working closely with libraries, archives and family history societies in the area. Digital images are made freely available to participating organisations to improve public access. Free search index on its web-site to all its books. In many cases payment will be required to see the extract.
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.