Morton Hall, or Morton (near Lincoln), was originally classified as an extraparochial area which was located between the civil parishes of Swinderby, Eagle and Thorpe on the Hill in the North Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated 8 miles (13 km) southwest from the county town of Lincoln.
It was in Branston Rural District from 1894 until 1931. In 1931 it was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Thorpe on the Hill in North Kesteven Rural District. Since 1974 it has been within the larger non-metropolitan District of North Kesteven.
The headquarters of 5 Group RAF (part of Bomber Command) moved to Morton Hall in the hamlet of Morton near Swinderby village in November, 1943. Since the war it was a prison for female offenders and is now an "immigration removal centre". (Source: GENUKI)
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.